Okay, so science Olympiad isn't really a club. It is like an extra curricular thing/competition! It is really fun! In previous months we posted the test(egg dropper) to get into science Olympiad. Well, I have been working hard and studying, and we had our first competition on March 30! It was at CAL U OF PA. California University of Pennsylvania. I love going to college campuses. It was very fun. Each student that makes the A Team is a student that actually competes. On the B Team you are a backup which is still good, and you walk around campus, watch competitions, I am(still!!!) on the A Team. Each student gets three competitions they have to work hard in, study in, and know. Each student has a partner. I am in with a partner Ecology, Ornithology(study of birds), and Junkyard Challenge. Ecology and Ornithology were studying events, so I studied with my wonderful partner Jillian. It was fun because we were in both together! She is a great friend. At the competition there were set times where we had to be in certain buildings and for these two events we answered questions on an answer sheet, like a test with stations, a question at each station. For my third event, Junkyard, we had to bring a bunch a items in a box such as paper plates, bowls, cups, straws, tape, Popsicle sticks, golf balls, tennis balls, etc. Basically a bunch of Junk! With all of that we had to build a bridge. It was fun! My partner is my neighbor Conlon, Jillian is also my neighbor! Also, for junkyard you HAAAVVVVEEE to wear goggles, I don't know why, but if you don't you will be disqualified. Well, Conlon made me take one for the team, (JK) and I wore GIANT goggles. Literally, they went from my cheeks to the top of my forehead. I looked weird, and it was humiliating. I am glad I wore them though because a team next to us one of the partners forgot his goggles, and they wouldn't let him compete. He went a long ways to get them, came back, and started while everyone else was half way done. Well, it was really fun! We went to the awards ceremonies after all of our events, it was the best part! We won 12 medals in all! For ecology Jillian and I each got the fourth place medal! For junkyard Conlon and I got the second place medal! All in all you had to be in the top five to make it to states, and well, our team did! We made fourth which is still really great! We get to go to another competition! The state wide competition! Yeah! The first place winner was Shady Side Academy. They are a private school and they have science Olympiad as a class! As part curriculum! Well, they are sort of our rivals. We were the happiest bus ride home!! It was tons of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it! If you have any questions please ask me! Thanks, Caitlin Snow
Pics above
P.S. Sorry it is so long,=)
No comments:
Post a Comment