Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Emerald Isle Part 3
We decided to go to Shackelfort Island. On this island there are WILD HORSES!!! Yes, you heard me right! The Spaniards marooned them there in the 1600's and they have been on this island ever since. They are Mustangs.
These tiny crabs are called Fiddler Crabs. They are tiny except for their one big claw. Do you see them in these pictures? When they rub their front arms together it seriously looks like they are playing a fiddle! They are so fun to watch.
Here we are on the ferry boat. It got really choppy at the end, so that's why this pic is blurry. I was hanging on that is for sure!
The buoy out there is where the island used to go out to!!! But now that is ocean!
The kids and the horses in the background. They were amazingly calm with people around. But I am sure they have seen LOTS of people.
The horses are beautiful, and it's a perfect place for them, with all the grass and shrubs and salt water!
Mom Snow and I, beaching it.
We looked for lots of shells and found a ton on this island. It was so pretty and secluded.
I really like this picture of Jord and the ocean.......wonder what he is thinking about.
Mike found a crab claw and all the kids wanted a picture with them holding it.
We headed back from Shackelfort Island and did a little shopping, well window shopping.
Tommy wanted to try on a hat like Cate. He put this one on and it completely covered his head. Where the buckle is on the hat, that is where is mouth is! It was hilarious.......
Pretty Caitlin...
This is a road that connects the islands. It is so strange to drive on it and have nothing around you or when you are driving up, it's like a rollercoaster feel. It's very strange but needed in this area to get to places.
More colorful houses........
I think I would pick this house, right on the beach. :)
For dinner, we went to a place called "Jordan's". It was yummy sea food. We got all these fabulous tips from our friend, Jenna, and she was right on! This place was delicious!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment