Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Debbie


 Debra Lee Barone (Debbie) was my best friend in high school.  She was my first friend after we moved to Illinois.  She moved during the summer of our sophomore and junior year to Pennsylvania.
That next spring, she was coming home from Prom and the car she was in with her date, was sideswiped and Debbie died.  Her date had taken a wrong turn and was going towards traffic. A 17 year old guy struck their car. (both boys lived)  It was an awful tragedy and I miss her so much.  How we found her grave?  Well, I was talking to Mike about Deb one day and expressed wonder about where she was buried in PA.  Mike did some research and found her for me.

We have some friends living in Delaware right now while he finishes up his internship, so we went to visit them.  The cemetery where Debbie is buried is only 10 minutes away from where our friends are, right on the border of PA and Delaware.  So Sat. morning we went to find Deb.  It was a bitter sweet experience.  I was so thankful to be there to actually see Debbie's name and to express me great love for her.  Mike took me to get a flower and had suggested I write her a letter.  I am so thankful I did.......I really miss Debbie and she has influenced my life in so many ways, I am so glad I knew her and laughed with her and made so many memories with her.  I am truly blessed to have known Debbie Barone.  She was an amazing girl and had so much kindness and love in her heart.  I am grateful I know I will see her again, what an experience.



1 comment:

  1. It is amazing to see how much one person can touch a life. And just so you know, YOU are that kind of person and friend too. You are someone who nobody ever forgets and only remembers with love and fondness :)

    ReplyDelete