Monday, April 19, 2010

Fish Derby

So, this is a tradition in our community. It is called the Joey Gombosh fish Derby. Our pack puts it on every year. Mike was incharge of it this year. So, it was just this past Saturday and you would think it was really nice Spring weather. NO! it wasn't!! It was 35-40 degrees and muddy!! But you know what the kids all had a great time. Joey Gombosh is a boy that died at 15 years old. He and his parents were here at this exact lake fishing with the Boy Scouts. Later that same day, Joey was in his backyard and just putting stuff away from fishing, and he just died. It happened 15 years ago. His parents and Joey didn't know he was sick, but apparently he had a virus and it attacked his heart and he died very suddenly. I spoke with his mom while Mike was fishing with the kids....She is an amazing woman and so sweet. She is so thankful to be albe to be a part of this tradition each year. They stock the fish in the lake the week before and then all boyscouts from the community come and try to catch a fish. If you get a "tagged" one, you win $. Tommy and Cate didn't catch a fish. But Jord did, not a tagged one, but a fish. ( I will send the picture soon. It is on Mike's phone...) He kept at it all day. Cate, Tommy and I went home, we were so cold. But it was a fun day had by all. It's so amazing to meet these great people and hear their stories. I was so thankful to talk with Joey's mom and hear about she and her family. It really made me think about life, that is for sure. I thought I would share it with you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment